Renting A Home

Need help finding someone to swap with?

I need a bigger/smaller property!

From 1st April 2013, the Government has restricted the amount of Housing Benefit public sector tenants can claim if they have ‘spare bedrooms’ in their property. The aim of this initiative is to ensure that people are living in the correct size property for their needs.

You may be worried about losing your housing benefit, and may be struggling to pay the shortfall in your rent yourself. Or, your circumstances may have changed and you need a bigger home. Don’t worry – you may be able to swap homes with another public sector tenant in order to find a home to match your needs. This process is called a ‘mutual exchange’.

House Exchange

If you are interested in a Mutual Exchange please visit the Leeds Homes website and follow the link to House Exchange. You will need to complete the online registration form to receive your ID number and create a password. You should register your landlord as “Leeds Homes” to get full free use of the site. Within a few days of registering you will be able to use the House Exchange website.

The website will allow you to advertise your home and to contact other tenants wanting to swap their homes anywhere in the country.

If you do not have access to the internet and would like to discuss this or any other matter please do not hesitate to contact us. You can call our reception on 0113 200 7700 or contact your Housing Officer.

How can we help you?

Unity can help you find the right size property, in the area that you want to live. We will advertise your property on our website and in our publications so that it reaches as many people as possible. We will also check our database of Unity tenants wishing to swap homes to see if there are any matches within Unity. If there are, moving home will be quicker as there is no need to bid.

All you need to do is to fill in a form and in doing so, give us permission to discuss your property details with possible matches. Please speak to our Customer Services Team on 0113 200 7700 or download a form from this web page if you would like our help finding a property to match your needs.

You will need to have a Leeds Homes bidding number in order to complete any swap.